Nominations for membership are now open. All parts of the application, including letters and the candidate's submission, must be completed by November 2, 2020 in order to be considered for full membership vote at the 2021 Annual Meeting.
Candidates for SNS membership (Active or Honorary) may be nominated by any SNS member. The nominating member becomes the candidate's sponsor.
Any neurosurgeon in the USA or Canada can be nominated for active membership in the SNS. Prospective Active Members should hold an important or responsible post in neurosurgery carrying with it responsibilities for graduate, undergraduate, or postgraduate teaching in a university or clinic setting. Excellence in the practice and study of surgery of the nervous system should have been demonstrated by prospective members. It is expected that nominees to the "Senior Society" will be senior Members of the neurosurgical community with extensive experience in neurosurgical education and teaching.
Prospective candidates from any country in the world can be nominated for honorary membership in the SNS, provided that they have shown unusual and outstanding talent and accomplishment in their work either in neurosurgery itself or in fields closely allied to neurosurgery.
To nominate a new member, follow the steps below:
- Sponsors can initiate a New Member nomination by completing the Sponsor Form.
Note that the nominating letter and and additional letters of support from up to two current SNS members in good standing will need to be uploaded in this form.
- On the form, the sponsoring member will be able to add a nominee by searching for their name in the search box provided. If the name is not found in the system, the sponsoring member can manually enter the name, e-mail and institution of the nominee.
- The sponsor should then complete all information in the form, including uploading a nominating (sponsoring) letter for the candidate to the Membership Committee Chair (Dr. Ganesh Rao), as well as additional letters of support from two other SNS members in good standing.
- Once all documents are uploaded, click the "Submit" button at the bottom of the page. The sponsor's nomination has now been completed.
- After the nomination is submitted, the nominee will receive an email notifying them of the nomination. This e-mail will require that the nominee log in to the SNS membership site to complete the additional information necessary for the consideration of their nomination. Specifically, the nominee will be asked to complete a Nominee Information Form, as well as submit a current Curriculum Vitae and passport style photograph.
It is the responsibility of the sponsor to ensure that the nominee's file is complete in time for review by the Membership Committee.
Once completed, the nominee's file will be reviewed by the Membership Committee. After review and rank ordering by the Membership Committee, candidates for membership will be presented by the Membership Committee Chair to the SNS Executive Council at its December meeting. The SNS Council will select a slate of candidates to be presented by the Membership Committee Chair at the next annual meeting. Candidates selected by the council can be elected by three-quarters affirmative vote of members present at the annual meeting. The SNS does not allow discrimination on the basis of Race, Color, Religion, National Origin, Gender, Age, Disability, Marital Status, Veteran Status, or Sexual Orientation.
Once a complete application for membership in the SNS is submitted, it will be reviewed by the Membership Committee for up to three consecutive years. If a candidate has not been selected for membership within that time period (three years), the application will become inactive. At that point, the candidate will not be considered further, unless a new application process is initiated by a sponsoring member.